Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

The following is a list of most frequently asked questions from Residents. If your question isn't addressed within the following, please feel free to contact your building manager.

For After Hours Emergencies contact your building manager or 519-432-2690 option 4 for immediate assistance.

Q: What methods of payment do you accept for rental payments?

A: Rent is due on or before the first (1st) day of each month for every month of tenancy. The easiest method of payment is a Pre-Authorized payment, where you provide a void cheque or a Pre-Authorized debit form from your bank, and we will automatically debit your account on the first banking day of each month. Alternatively, you can pay your rent through online or telephone banking by adding York Property Management as a payee and your lease number provided by your building manager. Please note we do not accept cash, credit or debit payments.

Q: How do I receive a rental receipt for tax purposes?

A: Rental receipts for the full calendar year are issued the second week in January of the following year. If you are a current resident, your rental receipt will be mailed to your apartment. If you have moved out, please contact our office to request a receipt be sent to your current address.

Q: I have a maintenance problem with my unit, who do I need to contact?

A: For all maintenance requests, please contact your building manager by phone or email. Their contact information is provided in your welcome package at the time of lease signing. When contacting your manager, please let the manager know you have a pet and if our maintenance representative has permission to enter when you are away from home.

If you have an afterhours emergency maintenance issue, please contact your building manager first then our After Hours Emergency Line at 519-432-2690.

Q: I want to move out of my apartment, what do I need to do?

A: In Ontario your written notice must be provided 60-days prior to your intended move-out date. This will always fall on or before the first of the month

Please Note: The termination date MUST be in accordance with the last day of your lease agreement, if you are not already a month-to-month tenant.

Written notice to terminate a lease must be submitted to your building manager. It can be sent by email, fax, or mailed to your area site office. It must include:

  • Name/signature of all lessees' (excluding guarantors)
  • Address for termination, including building and unit number
  • Date you wish to terminate (last day of the month)

Q: I received an N4 Notice to End a Tenancy Early for Non-payment of Rent, what does this mean?

A: If you have received an "N4 - Notice to End a Tenancy Early for Non-Payment of Rent", this means your rent for the month listed was outstanding and we had no record of payment at the time the notice was issued. This is a first warning for a late rental payment. Please ensure that the balance listed on the notice is paid in full by the due date, or legal action may be taken with the Landlord and Tenant board.

Please note that online or telephone banking payments can take 2 business days to process. If you believe you have received the notice in error, please contact your building manager.

Q: I have to move before my lease is completed, can I transfer/assign my lease?

A: If you have to leave your lease before your one-year term is up, please refer to section 15 of your lease. Contact your building manager, and it is your responsibility as the current tenant to find someone to take over the lease. The prospective tenant must agree to take the unit "as is", and be approved by our leasing department. There is a $500 administration fee charged for assigning your lease.

For all other questions, please feel free to contact your resident manager.